OR 590 (Colloquium)
Coordinator: Jeya Chandra
Office: 205 Leonhard Building
- Coordinator: Jeya Chandra; Office: 205 Leonhard; Phone: 863-2358; e-mail: email@example.com
- Requirements: Attendance for ALL SEMINARS , one-page Evaluation Sheet for each seminar and three in-depth seminar critiques. Attendance of ALL seminars is mandatory; appeals are required for any absence. Each unapproved absence requires one additional in-depth critique.
- Absence: Absence of missed seminars must be appealed in writing to the coordinator. An appeal should have your name, student number, the date of seminar missed and the reason(s). The appeal must be delivered within one week of the absence. E-mailed appeals are not acceptable. You are encouraged to obtain approval before missing a seminar.
- For each appeal which is not approved, you have to write one additional in-depth critique.
- Required Professional Behavior during the talks:
- THE ONLY PURPOSE FOR BEING IN THE CLASS ROOM DURING THE COLLOQUIUM IS TO LISTEN TO THE SPEAKER. NO OTHER ACTIVITY IS APPROPRIATE AND HENCE NO OTHER ACTIVITY WILL BE ALLOWED, INCLUDING READING OF NEWSPAPERS AND BOOKS, DOING ASSIGNMENTS FROM OTHER COURSES, etc.
- USE OF LAPTOPS, PDA’S AND CELL PHONES IS NOT ALLOWED WITHIN THE CLASS ROOM.
- STUDENTS SHOULD NOT HAVE “LOUD” PRIVATE CONVERSATIONS DURING TALKS.
- STUDENTS VIOLATING ANY OF THE ABOVE WILL BE ASKED TO LEAVE THE CLASS ROOM AND WILL BE MARKED ABSENT FOR THE PARTICULAR SEMINAR.
- PLEASE BE IN THE CLASS ROOM FROM 4:30 PM UNTIL THE DISMISSAL OF THE CLASS.
Guide Lines for In-Depth Critiques: If you are registered in OR 590 for credit, you are responsible for ‘in-depth’ critiques for three seminars this semester. The in-depth critiques should be three pages in length and double-spaced (font size 12). The critiques should discuss the major points of the seminar presentation, and assess their importance. The form of the critiques must follow the outline shown below. These in-depth critiques may be submitted to the coordinator at any time during the semester. E-mailed critiques are not acceptable.
Outline for Critiques
Title: A Review of “_______________” (title of the talk) by “_____________” (name of the speaker.)
- Overview of Seminar Subject.
- Key Topics.
- Contributions of the Work Presented to the Tools or Practice of Operations Research.
- Assessment of the Presentation (as opposed to the work)
- Other visual aids
- Speaking style
- Organization of the presentation
- Addressing questions
- Summary (strengths, weaknesses and benefit you received by attending).